Friday, November 07, 2008

The Wonder Of It All

Firstly, I know that my title is technically wrong. Because "Of" and "It" should not be capitalized. But it looks better this way. Trust me on this. :D Anyways, on to what it means maybe?

I was...doing something today. I don't remember exactly what. I think I was watching Kendra (my four year old baby sister), I think I was taking her out to McDonald's. Or it might have been before that. Anyways, I'm not sure exactly when the thought struck me, but only that it did strike me. Which is the whole reason why I'm writing this post anyways. :D Oh yeah! I had just taken a shower! Yeah, and was staring at myself in the bathroom mirror (not in a vain way, more in a "I stare at my own eyes everyday to see if I can find something different" kind of way.) And I was thinking about...relationships or something like that. And then I started thinking about how things lose their magic. And that's how I got my thought! Yep. :D

So what I was thinking about was how things seem to lose their magic, their wonder as we get older. Like, to Kendra having a hamster, or getting a Happy Meal is so awesome and special. Because she doesn't exactly understand how it works, but she still enjoys it anyway. She doesn't exactly understand how her tiny fat hamster is able to move around the cage its in, which is probably part of the reason why she enjoys it so much.

That set me to thinking about how things just don't seem the same as when I was younger. And I'm sure most people can identify. I mean it's like, when you're younger, every new thing is so awe-inspiring because you may not understand it, but it's there anyway. And that adds to it's charm. Getting a new toy, finding money under your pillow from the "tooth fairy," Father Christmas, meeting a new person, making a new friend. It's all so exciting and thrilling because you don't exactly know what you're doing, or why things are responding in the way they are, but you like it.

As we get older, we start to understand. And really, that takes the fun out of it all. You start to understand that the hamster works by a heartbeat and that because its heart beats so much faster than yours, it will only live for about two years, you understand that the Happy Meal is made by sour-faced employees in the kitchens at the back, you understand that your parents snuck money under your pillow and threw your tooth away, and that Santa Claus doesn't exist. You understand that people aren't as great as you thought they were, that they lie and steal and cheat and betray. And you understand that there's nothing really magical about any relationship, that it's all hard work and effort and fighting to rein in the emotions you don't need and to hold on to the ones you do.

I haven't decided yet whether it's a good thing or not. I mean sure, the "loss of innocence" is a big part of growing up. But it does make the world seem like a dreary and dark place sometimes. Being weighed down by reality like that makes it difficult to enjoy even the simplest things sometimes. I think this is one of those things that you can't really label good or bad. I mean it does draw things into a deep shadow, and it makes it easy to be pessimistic. But without it we'd hardly have free will at all would we? I mean, not knowing a whole lot of things could be a detriment in the long run.

But this reminds me of a line a read in a book once. "Man needs so little but begins to want so much." I mean, it's an old question, but if we didn't know any of the things that exist today existed, would we still need them, if we need them at all? Would we still want them? I sincerely doubt the lack of a PC or mobile phone, or even a car would have made much of a difference in my life if they'd never been invented.

Sometimes I wonder if being born into a time like this is really a good thing. I mean true, I wouldn't have met a lot of people I now know and care about if none of these things were invented. But really, things these days are so complicated. Or they seem that way at least, because of all the things people focus on. The things they want, the things they lust after, the things they "need." People say "knowledge is power." But then they also say "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." I sometimes wish things could be simpler, you know?

But then, that wouldn't be all too fun either I suppose. ^_^;; But really, I think growing up, losing the magic, is something we all need to learn. Because, I mean, it's easy to feel the magic if you're just born with it. It takes hard work, and sacrifice to find the real magic, and to hold on to it. So I guess in the end, growing up just makes things that much sweeter. Because you only appreciate it all the more. Well, that's the theory anyway. xD

I wanna feel that wonder again. I'll find it someday.

Poursuivez la magie, mes amis,
Jared

No comments: