Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Love For A Day

Wind and rain may pass me by,
The world and all its glory,
But you're the bird that I let fly,
My favourite chapter of the story,

Love, they say, is like a rose,
Or like a turbulent sea,
Or like stars wrapped in night's velvet folds,
Or rain upon a prairie,

But love I think, is a simple thing,
Or at least it should be so,
For to hear you, my songbird, sing,
There is no place too far to go,

Alas! There are things I did not say,
Words I should have spoken,
But I have had your love for a day,
And your spell cannot be broken,

Perhaps the fates would have allowed us peace,
If I had spilled my heart to you,
But what bird can bear a leash?
Forfeit her sky so blue?

So I will sit and think anon,
Of all the songs that I have heard,
And of them not a single one,
To match that of my own sweet bird

I believe I've talked about how I love poetry before. How it freezes a moment, and captures a feeling in a way that sometimes only the author can understand. I like how, in poetry, you can write something that mirrors your reality, but that no one would understand.

Like this poem for instance, mirrors how I've been feeling about a certain person over the course of the past few weeks. So it is of course, dedicated to that person. Which I find amusing because she doesn't even know who she is. ^_^

Anyways, it's about a struggle whether to "profess your love" or to remain silent. In the poem, the character chooses to remain silent and let the "bird" fly away, content that he had her "love for a day." Hence the title.

I like it, I think it's good. :)

Poursuivez la magie,
Jared

No comments: